This recipe for a Chocolate Strawberry Rum Cake is something I came up with because I wanted to make something similar to the Cherry Chocolate Rum Cake I used to make at the restaurant. Two days before our Christmas Eve celebration at my parents’ house, my sister pointed out that no one had thought about dessert. Of course, me being me, I volunteered to make something. I had some strawberries in the refrigerator and decided to develop a decadent strawberry and chocolate cake. When I thought of decadence, I immediately thought about the chocolate rum cake with a cherry topping at the restaurant. So with the brain juices flowing, I made a run to the liquor store to pick up some rum, and lo and behold, I found some Malibu strawberry rum. I purchase it because I felt it would genuinely enhance this cake. I then decided to make the frosting a little more of the focus. This Chocolate Strawberry Rum Cake is what I came up with, and it turned out marvelous.
- 1 package of Devil’s food cake mix
- 1 box (3.9 oz.) instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ cup of Malibu strawberry rum
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 sticks butter (softened at room temperature)
- 2 blocks of cream cheese
- 3 cups sifted confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry rum
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare to round 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray and then Dust with flour
- Use a stand mixer or electric mixer.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the 1 package of cake mix, 1 box of instant chocolate pudding, 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of rum, 1/2 cup of oil, and 4 large eggs.
- Evenly distribute the mixture between the 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake in the 350-degree oven for 30 minutes.
- While the cakes are cooling on a cooling rack, prepare the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the 1 sticks of butter, 2 blocks of cream cheese, and 2 tablespoons of strawberry rum until fluffy.
- Slowly add in 3 cups of sifted powdered sugar while mixing.
- When the cakes are completely cool, use a bread knife, and slice each cake layer in half to make four separate layers.
- Frost in between each layer and then frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and shaved milk or dark chocolate.