Sometimes I run across a recipe that is a little hard to follow. These white chocolate lemon streusel bars are worth the effort, but you have to follow the directions, or you will get lost! I located this recipe in one of my recipe card books that I grabbed off the rack for years. You know the ones I am talking about – You are standing in the check-out line with nothing better to read (unless you are into gossip rags), and the next thing you know, you have a brand new recipe book that you don’t need but have convinced yourself you can use. I have so many that I have a particular container just for them. I must say I love to look through them but have never made much from them until recently. This season I promised myself that I would try at least four recipes, and this is one of them. It tastes fantastic, but it is not what I would call an easy recipe. Because it is a little confusing, I will do the instructions with a lot more action details.
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14oz.)
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 2 cups (11oz.) Ghirardelli Classic White Chips
- ⅔ cups butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups Quaker old fashioned oats
- 1 cup toasted pecans pieces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional is you use salted butter)
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon canola oil
- Sit out the ⅔ cups of butter to come to room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Chop 1 cup of pecans into pieces
- Place them in a 9 in. cake pan and toast them in the oven for 6 minutes.
- While they are toasting –
- Spray a 13x9x2 glass baking dish with cooking spray
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and the ½ cup lemon juice
- Take the 2 cups of white chocolate chips and portion out ¼ of a cup and ⅓ of a cup – stir the rest of the chips into the sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice
- Using a stand or an electric hand mixer, cream together the softened ⅔ cups of butter and the 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour, 1 ½ cups of oats, the toasted pecans, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and the optional ½ teaspoon of salt
- Set aside 1 ⅔ cups of this dry mixture –
- Pour what is left of the dry mixture and blend it into the butter and brown sugar mixture, adding in the 1 egg. Take this and press it into the bottom of the prepared glass baking dish.
- Pour and GENTLY spread the sweetened condensed milk mixture on top.
- Take the dry mixture that you have set aside and stir in the ⅓ cup of white chocolate chips
- Evenly sprinkle the dry mixture on the top and then bake it in the preheated 350-degree oven for 25 minutes or until it is golden brown
- Remove for the oven and cool to room temperature
- In the microwave, melt the last of the white chocolate chips mixed with the teaspoon of canola oil – stirring often until smooth
- Drizzle over the pan and then refrigerate until cool.
- Cut into desired sizes and serve
If you love something a little sweet you should also check out my cranberry pecan sandies!