As the mom of three kids, I understand that often you really want to make something awesome for your kids but you just don’t have the time or the energy to make something awesome and complicated every single day! When I owned a restaurant, the kids were very accustomed to coming in after school and grabbing a cookie or a piece of the dessert I had made that day, but when I sold the restaurant they didn’t have that option. The other little problem they ran into was that I no longer had a large chef’s kitchen to work out of. This has caused my cooking mentality to shift a little. Do I still love to cook? YES! Do I still love to make “Chef” quality food? ALWAYS! Do I “cheat” occasionally? YES! Do I feel guilty about that? Not when it TASTES THIS GOOD! This is my version of a quick, kid-friendly, chocolate lava cake. It requires very little effort and the kids will love to help you make it.
|PREP: 15 minutes||BAKE: 15 minutes||Yield: 14 small cakes|
- Devils Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¼ Cup Water
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- “Shell” Chocolate Sauce
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare the cake mix as directed, using the eggs, water, and oil.
- Bake in cupcake pan for 13-15 minutes (or until center springs back when touched)
- Allow them to cool completely
- In a small pot combine the chocolate chips and the heavy cream over low heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove the chocolate cupcakes and use a butter knife or spoon and “scoop” out a little bit of the middle of the cake.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into the hole
- Microwave for 15 seconds
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of store-bought “shell” chocolate sauce (the one that forms a hard shell when poured over cold ice cream).
- Serve warm