I can vividly remember the first time I ate avocado on these Crispy Chicken Tostadas! I was a young girl living in Fred, Texas and my mother let me go stay a week with my cousin Paula and her husband Rodney. They lived close to Galveston, Texas which surely meant a trip to the beach! Even though I was a little girl, I remember that week as a pretty cool week. Paula took me to the Galveston Strand and I think a really big mall, at least it was big for me.
Funny, but the thing I remember the most was the night she convinced me to try fresh avocado. Maybe my mom had served avocado before but I know I had never tried it. Paula fried up some flour tortillas, put some refried beans, shredded chicken, sliced avocado, and a sauce of some sort on this meal and I discovered that there was a whole big world of taste out there that I had yet to experience.
Thank you, Paula!
Over the years I have come up with my own version of Paula’s Crispy Chicken Tostadas. They are so easy to make. As an adult, I add a margarita (maybe Paula did too) and now I can eat two instead of just one!
- 8 – Flour Tortillas
- 1 can Pinto Beans
- 3 – Chicken Breast
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ Medium Onion
- ½ Green Bell Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Grill Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Taco Seasoning
- TOPPING: Avocado, lettuce, tomato, spicy ranch dressing
- In a large iron skillet (or non-stick skillet) place the olive oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan).
- Slice defrosted chicken breast, onions, and peppers. Place in the olive oil.
- Add the grill seasoning and the taco seasoning (Simply Maurie Kay or your favorite brand)
- Grill over medium heat until the chicken starts to cook and then cover the skillet and continue cooking.
- In a separate frypan, place vegetable oil and fry the flour tortillas over medium heat until golden brown.
- Open and drain the pinto beans. Place in a small bowl and mash them with a fork. Once the flour tortillas are done use the same pan (with the grease drained out) and heat the mashed beans until hot.
- Layer the tostadas with the beans, cooked chicken, onions, bell peppers, lettuce, avocado, shredded cheese, and I add either sour cream or a spicy ranch dressing to the top.