How about some Butter Pecan Tea Cakes! So, what makes a cookie a cookie and a tea cake… a tea cake? That all depends on where you live! According to Google and Wikipedia, “A teacake in England is generally a light yeast-based sweet bun containing dried fruit, typically served toasted and buttered. In the U.S., teacakes can be cookies or small cakes. In Sweden, they are soft, round, flat wheat bread made with milk and a little sugar and used to make buttered ham or cheese sandwiches. In India and Australia, a teacake is more like a butter cake. Tea refers to the popular beverage to which these baked goods are an accompaniment.”
Because of this description, I have decided that this recipe should be dubbed Butter Pecan Tea Cakes. They are melt in your mouth good and absolutely perfect with a hot cup of tea. When I make these, the first thing I want to do is make my tea ( I like Twinings, Earl Grey), grab a good book, and go curl up in my comfy chair under a warm lap throw. It is a very fancy feeling.
Butter Pecan Tea CakesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
2 sticks butter (softened)
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups of All-Purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, use a hand or stand mixer and mix the 2 sticks of softened (room temp) butter, the 3 Tablespoons of sugar, and the 1/4 cup of light corn syrup until creamy.
- Slowly (1/2 cup at a time) mix in the 2 cups of flour and then mix in the 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- NOTE: The mixture will be crumbly.
- Next, take a spatula or a large spoon and stir in the 2 cups of finely chopped pecans.
- As you stir, the mixture should stick together some.
- Using your hands, roll the “dough” into 1 inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake in the 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- When done, roll teas cakes in the 1/2 cup of powered sugar.
If you love a good cookie check out another one of my favorites, Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies.