These Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies are so delicious! They have the perfect texture and just the right amount of sweetness. The story behind this little recipe for Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies comes from my youngest son. He was challenged to make some cookies for a cookie competition and found a recipe from somewhere else to follow because the challenger informed him that his mom could not help. Well, I told him that I would make my own recipe and see which ones we liked better. Several hours and kitchen memories later, we had plenty of Thumbprint cookies. His recipe was pretty good, except when he was making them, they were so dry that the ball would not form so, I convinced him to add more butter (he won’t admit that I helped him out). On the other hand, my recipe was what I like to classify as “pert-near perfect.”
Try these out and let me know what you think.
Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
1 stick plus 1 Tablespoon Butter (softened)
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt (less than 1/4 teaspoon)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup fruit (I use strawberry) preserves
Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Using a stand mixer or electric handheld mixer, mix the softened 1 stick and 1 tablespoon of butter with 1/3 cup of granulated sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Slowly add in 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of flour (I add in 1/2 cup increments)
- NOTE: This dough will be think and crumbly.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place the balls on the parchment paper and press your thumb into the center of the ball. Do not press all the way through the cookie. The goal here is to indent 1/2 way down.
- Place the cookie sheet with the raw cookies in a refrigerator for AT LEAST 2 hours.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 13 minutes.
- Cool the cookies and then place a teaspoon of fruit preserves (or any filling) into the thumbprint of the cookie.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
If you like these cookies, make sure and check out some of the cookies I have on my blog. Like these chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.